Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Money No Enough 2" by Jack Neo

last evening, my whole family went to watch "Money No Enough 2" at the club.

this was the second time my wife and I saw the movie. my 2 daughters like it. my son slept through parts of it. my wife didn't like the depressing theme which she viewed as real, something encountered in daily life and not funny, and that the audience found it funny and laughed throughout the movie.

I thought it was really good, very realistic in capturing the behaviour of Singaporeans (and perhaps people in general) as my elder daughter also said. I felt the movie was no slapstick. the fact that the movie was peppered with laughter throughout showed that the audience really identified with the many scenes and instances in the movie. that my wife felt the issues were real and everyday problems and the theme was depressing also showed that the movie has substance and insight and is not just bent on gaining laughter.

the 3 brothers each suffered setbacks of their own making, whether it was due to greed, reckless irresponsibility in the youngest brother (Mark Lee), selfishness and hyprocrisy especially in the second brother (Jack Neo). the problem of the aging mother striken with diabetes and alzeimer is indeed real, an everyday struggle for many, and discomforting.

it is all too easy to judge until one is faced with a constant daily nursing effort, costs (rising healthcare costs and priorities of a profit-driven listed hospital group are the issues in focus here!) and inconvenience coping with a aged, sick and immobile parent (like having to wash 6 towels a day soiled by urinary incontinence of a diabetes patient etc). parents are generally willing to cope with sick or disabled child and stoically assume the hardship for a lifetime yet the same people often are not likely to do the same for their parents (or probably even their spouse) less than grudgingly. perhaps it is human nature that love for our children are largely unconditional but the same may not apply to parents, spouse or another adults, whereas the protective feeling towards our children always remain that way even when they become adult.

while my view is that we should tend to our aged parents as we would our children, sick, bedridden or striken by alzeimer, I am unwilling to judge others. also I do not think I can be a very sensitive or caring caregiver (certainly less useful than a professionally trained caregiver) though not a grudging one-in my case it is moot as my parents passed away when I was 18 and 19.

anyhow my view is that quality of life for both the one needng care and his(her) family would improve if Singapore and elsewhere develop and expand more professionally managed retirement homes where proper healthcare, nursing and leisure/community needs are met by professionally trained caregivers. people should still take care of their aged parents and not dumped them in the old folks home, but at least there is a real choice and quality alternative, not one where old folks feel unwanted and deserted.

No comments: